Chapter 2: Mandatory equipment
We thought everyone was responsible and we wanted to leave it to everyone’s appreciation and to his own responsability
Even participants accustomed to the mountain, asked us why a jacket for 15 days and 15 nights mountain … why 6000 kcal, why a poncho … etc.
In front of so much irresponsibility announced some, we have set up and checked on the departure the historical list RSO. .
The goal is not to load you needlessly, but to respond to 15 days and 15 nights in the mountains, where you will have all the meteo:
Heat waves, sunburn, rain, hail, storm, fog, maybe even the snow beyond 2500m
The Mandatory Material, aims to increase your autonomy, and allow you to hold at least 12 h 00, even 24h00.
The list responds to 5 major security requirements:
1. Protect your physical integrity, protect yourself from water, and Cold, to avoid hypothermia.
2. Know how to treat your feet and hands and limbs, main Bobology or mountain injuries
3. Know how to find one’s bearings, orient oneself, stay on the course for safety reasons
4. Signal yourself day and night in case of danger
5. To know how to feed, to avoid hypoglycemia and to advance on safe legs.
The complete list: http: //www.transpyrenea.fr/materiel-obligatoire/
1. The warm jacket – The pants: the temperatures vary from 5, 10 to 30 degrees in August, the nights are cool and wet. You must be able to hold 12 hours minimum at zero degrees
We advise (not required) a pair of gloves.
2. The Poncho: It will rain at least 5 days out of 15, if you get wet, or if you wet your gear, you are in serious danger of hypothermia. NOTHING REPLACES PONCHO, not even a Goretex
3. A sleeping bag: the nights are cool and you will have to sleep at least 4/6 hours a night.
“Meat bags” or “pack Alu” are not allowed. Know how to preserve them from the water.
4. A water filter / or micropur: You are autonomous in water or on CP, on the way you will find rivers, but beware there are many cows and sheep in summer. Treat your water when in doubt. After refuel on CP and on towns and villages.
5. 2 liters of water: We recommend 2 liters minimum, 3 in case of heat wave, plan more on the departure or in case of strong heat.
6. Survival blanket + 1 Candle warmer dish: In case of injury or immobilization you must cold, you must cover yourself, golden side outside a candle can maintain the temperature. In case of danger put it in square on the ground. Stuck pIn case of danger put it in square on the ground. Stuck by stones
7. The Mirror: Of course nobody will use it, it is an effective way to signal and that goes further, for the aerial research teams
8. The whistle: no longer intended for ground crews or other participants in the event of a fall or a standstill or simply to be outside the course.
9. 2 headlamps + 2 sets of batteries: why 2, you come from far to live this adventure, if the first one breaks down the 2nd will avoid you to go home too early because without frontal we can not let continue
10. 2 sets of extra batteries: in the dropbag because the adventure lasts 15 days on average. You can opt for rechargeable
11. A first aid kit: The list will be communicated quickly It must be important enough for several days of ampoules, a disinfection spray, a gastric antiseptic and not be composed of only 2 plasters … Compex prohibited by our chiropodists.
Some infections will require an antibiotic or evacuation and can not be treated on site by our podiatrist …
12. 2 m elastic band (Elasto): essential to your strappings between 2 CP, 2 meters for 15 days …
13. A Compass: it’s not an orientation raid but sometimes on the GR10 you’ll find the usefulness of the little needle.
14. The Luminous Stick: It is perfect and tested, even in the water, for this kind of adventure.
It has enough autonomy, and also allows the bivouac to save its frontal.
It is visible up to 1 km. It has 3 battery reservoirs, it is 360 °, permanent, flashing, or flashing fast. Chemical sticks are forbidden.
15. The mobile phone: (with waterproof pocket) You must be reachable at any time, to be contacted by the organization or to prevent and guide rescue.
16. Credit card + cash: We advise you 200 euros of cash (for 15 days). There are restaurants and hotels, shelters on the course, partner or not, they can sell you drinks, or a meal.
17. 6000 Kcal minimum / section of 200 km: You leave with 6000 Kcal, and your reserve of security of 1000 kcal. You will find on the CP either a menu or a meal
25,000 in your bag and dropbag + 25,000 on the CP + 25,000 on the way
You will need to submit your calorie record to the departure check
18. A trash bag: Zero waste. Number your packages, and if you find packages on the way, pick them up, even if they are not yours. Garbage cans are available in plain, thank you not to leave them on mountain huts
19. A multipurpose cup: Zero plastic. There will be no cups or plastic bottles, only reusable dishes.
20. The Road Book: We will provide you a Road Book, but let’s be lucid, only a good preparation, a summary table, the cards in the Dropbox will be useful. The GPS File is also in the Dropbox. An important notion of security is what structures are in your path; Refuges, CP of the organization, but also the huts of shepherds, or the towns or villages.
- In the beginning: You will be checked at the beginning, of all the material, we will ask you to present everything to the withdrawal of the bib.
- It must be in your possession permanently and can be controlled at any time.
- ALL BAG Less than 6 KG dry (without water) will be checked systematically
- In case of hot weather you must be able to carry 3 liters of water